Happy new year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday. Christmas and New year has come and gone and its time to plan for the year ahead. Do you want to be healthier, fitter or have more financial freedom? Or maybe you want to have a better relationship with your spous and family? now is the time to work on achieving your dreams for the year.
According to Forbes magazine (Jan 3 – online) if you do not bother with making new year resolutions, but you are are a person who chooses to leave their life meaningfully and purposefully regardless, good on you. If you do like making resolutions however, here are five simple common resolutions to keep in order to have the best year ever.
- Healthy Eating – do not compare yourself with others. Do your own thing at your own pace. make simple life changes like try having a bowl of salad, veg or fruits with your main meals. Drink a glass of water before, during and after meals. Ithelps keep you full for longer. Cook and prepare your own meal. One very important thing we do at home is to not stock the cupboards and fridge with junk foods. if it’s not there you wont eat it. Rather stock the house with fruits and vegitable. Healthy snakc like popcorn in small quantity can be allowed. We also do not do three course meals. We only eat main food with salads. Once in a while we may have ice-cream for treats. So we keep little tub of ice-cream to share amongs all of us.
- Exercise – If you want to lose weight this year, take it easy. Start at your own pace and gradually work your way up. You do not have to register in a gym but if you do and have a personal trainer, make the most of it. If like the rest of us you do not have a personal trainer, the most important thing is to understand your body. which part of your body put up weight the must. is it your stomach, thighs, arm or bum. concentrate on those areas. I put up weight in my mid section (the most deadliers part because those are the organ areas) so my excercise usually target those areas. A little jog around the block can go a long way, sit ups,planking, squatting and leg lifts can help you see significant changes in your body without leaving the comfort of your home.
- Finance – We may all want to become millionaires but the reality of that happening takes a lot of hard work, dedication and a sprinkle of good luck. We can however plan our budget properly so we are able to afford things and help our money stretch further. Budgeting is very important as it helps you see what is coming in and what is going out.so you can plan accordingly. No nasty surprises. Try making your own food as supposed to eating out all the time, buy things on sale. Some of us don’t have the space or green finger to grow our own food, but buying seasonal fruits and veg can help us save more as they are often more affordable. Buy and cook in bulk. We live in a small flat so space may not really allow us to buy and cook a lot of food but with good use of storage spaces, you can still maximize your space and cook for at least three days. Find trips, day out and activities you can do with your family for free. Go see movies on Sundays when its less expensive for instance. Do not forget your vouchers and coupons. Find out what little things you can do to increase your cash flow, maybe make a little investment, an extra shift, a new business idea. You can do anything you set your mind to do. What talents and gifts do you have? Can you make hair? try doing it for someone for an extra few pounds.
- Relationship – If you want to get married this year or have a better relationship with your spouse this year, the key is to work on yourself more. Self development. When you are whole that is you are alright in yourself, without needing validation from someone else or needing the approval or the company of others in order to be happy, your relation will become much better. Go on date nights ( or day dates) but also go out with your own friends. Do things by yourself. Read a book. Take a day trip to the museum. Have your own personality, your own individuality. Also allow your spouse to spend time with their own friends without constantly calling or texting them to see what they are doing. Be more understanding of one another. communicate better. Talk to each other, face to face where possible. Be spontenous.
- And lastly, regardless of your new year resolutions, take it easy on yourself. Do not set yourself up to fail by take on too much too quickly. Have a plan. Get a planner. Be meticulous about it but yet leave room for flexibility. Ask yourself why you want to do it. How bad do you really want it? How important is it to you? Do you want to give up smoking because its bad for your health or because it’s the new year and you are making a resolution. Do you want to lose weight to look good, feel happier and healthier or just because it is expected of you? are you doing it for yourself or for others to see how far you have come? Last year I wanted to lose weight because i was unhappy with my size. I wanted to look the way I was many years ago before having kids. Yes the weight came off but then it quickly came back on. I realized I may never be like I was many years ago. I’m not the same person. I have had babies and now live a less active life (modern day comfort). I’m not the same young lady jumping on buses to get to campus. Now, its my lifestyle to be healthy as a family. To eat healthy five times in the week, move more doing house chores and finding happiness in the little things of life. By making it part of our life, they weight stay off. Even if you add a little, you get it off quicker than being on a diet. Make it a family affair to be healther.
So as you embark on this new journey in 2017, do not put pressure on yourself, eat well, move more, sleep well and relax your mind. You are in it for long haul. It is not a race, it is a journey. Enjoy every minute of it!